EntertainmentRSS FeedLike us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter

Myong’s Fab 5 films of all time

These are films I really love and consider to be my all-time favorites

Posted August 1, 2011 by Myong Choi

Along with writing movie reviews, I’ll occasionally be offering commentary on the movie industry, covering film festivals and running my Fab 5 films in different categories. I thought I’d start off with my Fab 5 films of all time. These are films I really love and consider to be my all-time favorites.

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree? What are your favorite films of all time?

Comments

1. Annoddah_Dave
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 6:19 am

MyC: Good list. Cannot say that they are on my list of all time greats but still a credible choice. Can’t wait to hear about your list of foreign films. Just saw Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and did not agree with most of the reviews.

2. MyongChoi
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 7:36 am

Thanks Annoddah Dave. So I’m assuming that means you enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? Because most reviews I read didn’t give it a good rating. And yes, a Fab 5 Foreign Films list is definitely coming. I might even break it down by countries (Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.) or by regions (Asia, Europe, etc.).

3. MyongChoi
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 7:36 am

4. nonstopmari
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

3 of ur top 5 films of all time feature violent gunplay… well, one of my all-time faves is ‘unforgiven’ by clint eastwood, which works on so many levels and is filled w/ allegory: the eager, untested bounty hunter who can’t see, the sheriff building a crooked house…

‘hannah and her sisters’ is also up there, for me the most accessible woody allen, ensemble story lines interwoven w/ woody allen’s own love story w/ new york city, w/ great music.

5. nonstopmari
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

6. WillL
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

“Driving Ms. Old Lady”? For real is that what you said, LOL? “True Romance”, wth? If Tarantino then go with Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, no? Any, everyone has their own quirky Fab 5. Mine (off the top of my head):

5. My Cousin Vinny

4. Die Hard

3. A Few Good Men

2. The Paper Chase (obscure move based on Scott Turow’s 1L)

1. To Live (love Yimou Zhang movies with Gong Li)

7. I_Am_N8
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 6:18 am

I prefer Notting Hill to Pretty Woman. It still has Julia Roberts, but it has some quirky British humor.

8. MyongChoi
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

@I_Am_N8 Notting Hill is also great. The hardest part was narrowing the list down to just 5!

9. MyongChoi
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 8:46 am

@WillL Pulp Fiction almost made this list but it doesn’t have the “re-watch” factor for me as the other films I listed. All the films in your Top 5 are also great and to be honest, Die Hard just missed the cut.

10. MyongChoi
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 8:47 am

@nonstopmari Hannah and Her Sisters was a great film and I’m not even a Woody Allen fan. You liked it better than Annie Hall? ^_^

11. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

@MyongChoi Oh man I was so amped from watching Die Hard. It was such a good movie the first time (my senior year in HS).

12. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

13. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:35 am

@MyongChoi@nonstopmari Did you guys watch Midnight in Paris – awesome feel good movie.

14. I_Am_N8
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm

@MyongChoi @I_Am_N8 And what about Top Gun or The Princess Bride?

15. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm

@MyongChoi@I_Am_N8 Impossible to narrow it down to 5. You also have The Matrix, Old School, Christmas Vacation, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Forrest Gump, Life Is Beautiful, E.T., Field of Dreams, Planes Trains & Automobiles (I could watch all day), Dumb & Dumber, Saving Silverman (underrated, LOL), etc. etc.

16. MyongChoi
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

@WillL @I_Am_N8 I cannot believe you just put Saving Silverman on that list!

17. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

@MyongChoi@I_Am_N8 oh man it was one of the few films that get you literally ROFL. Jack Black and Steve Zahn were da best!!!

18. WillL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:40 pm

@MyongChoi@I_Am_N8 Oh, I know you’ll probably do a war movie list one day, but how could we pass up Full Metal Jacket? I’ll bump a movie off, that goes onto my Top 5 list. So does Apocalypse Now. Man, this is hard.

19. nonstopmari
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm

@WillL@MyongChoi ‘midnight in paris’ now on my list.

re ‘hannah and her sisters,’ liked it a lot better than ‘annie hall.’ ah was too one-dimensional diane keaton for me. ‘hannah’ felt like a maturing of woody allen, a realization that life and its characters are not one-dimensional. plus i was living in nyc at the time of filming, and this movie has always seemed like the ultimate ode to a great city from a man who knew and loved it.

20. nonstopmari
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm

@WillL@MyongChoi what abt ‘story of qiu ju’ w/ gong li? loved that one, saw ‘to live’ but it doesn’t stay w/ me.

also, has anyone seen ‘twilight samurai’?

21. MyongChoi
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

@nonstopmari@WillL Haven’t seen it yet but have heard good things and it’s definitely on my “to watch” list.

22. MyongChoi
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

23. MyongChoi
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 9:09 am

24. Posted August 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

No Pooty Tang?!!

25. Posted August 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

No Pooty Tang?!!

26. Posted August 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

Great stuff, Myong honhiguy! Need to check out True Romance. Doesn’t sound like my type of film, but with that description, it sounds like a winner. Thanks again for sharing!

Trackbacks

About Myong Choi

Born in Korea but a Hawaii resident since the age of 1, Myong Choi is a diligent engineer by day and an enthusiastic fun seeker by night. His appreciation for film started with watching bloody and violent Shaw Brothers kung fu films at Empress Theatre at age 5. When not catching up on the latest or greatest films he’s following K-pop trends, outside hiking or playing basketball, or inside enjoying an ice cold beer with friends.

Copyright © 2014 Nonstop Online, LLC. All Rights Reserved.