Sorry for the delay in this week’s “Hawaii Five-0″ recap, but I caught a bit of the flu Monday night so wasn’t able to watch the episode until today. CBS was smart to tie in this week’s episode with the Pro Bowl because if there’s one thing that male viewers are hungry for it’s some NFL action. The Super Bowl has been over for a few weeks and the NFL draft is still a few months away, so why not satisfy the needs of millions of football fans with some football among the usual weekly murder and mayhem of “Hawaii Five-0”?
Here’s this week’s look at The Good, The Bad and The Weird.
- I have no idea how a military tactical operation will help team building, but I’m all for it. There are a few people from work I wouldn’t mind taking a friendly shot at.
- I’m not a fan of Masi Oka’s character, but find him tolerable when just doing his job in the lab. It really got under my skin last season when they forcibly wrote him into scenarios outside of his job requirements. Now Fong, on the other hand, I would love to see outside of the lab.
- Can you believe that Catherine is the third wheel to the bromance between McG and Danno? There’s no breaking that bond.
- Loved Larry Manetti’s guest spot. The former “Magnum P.I.” regular made the most of his scene, especially that punch to the face and then the threatening choke hold. I totally wouldn’t mind him becoming a recurring character. Just take him out of that “tiki bar” (see The Bad below).
- I don’t know exactly why, but creepy video surveillance guy made me laugh. Maybe it was the way he said “Nice” as he was scoping Kono up and down.
- Hey, that’s Arian Foster, one of the top running backs in the NFL. I loved how Danno blamed him for his fantasy football loss. Fantasy footballers are hard-core and we don’t care about who wins games, just stats. As McG said, it’s “Dungeons & Dragons for sports geeks.” Couldn’t have said it better myself.
- Liked seeing Kono in the Blue Room.
- The Honolulu Times? I like it better than the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
- Okay, I’ll tolerate Masi Oka’s appearance outside of the lab this time, but only because he’s wearing a soccer jersey.
- Can we stop using the word, “tiki,” when referring to bars in Hawaii? Sure enough, the Tiki Bar in this episode had every cliche imaginable – cheesy lighting, faux bamboo furniture and interior design and loud aloha shirts. I’m sure every drink in that bar had a paper umbrella in it too.
- Just when I thought I couldn’t dislike Catherine’s character any more, she wears a Dallas Cowboys jersey.
- The “Kane of cool?” Huh?
- Why is the lounge singer played by Larry Manetti called “Hawaii’s very own” when he admits to growing up in Chicago?
- Isaiah has to be the tiniest bouncer ever. And he got knocked out by a lounge singer in his sixties. Good luck finding another bouncing job.
- “Yeah, that’s Holly.” – Kono. How did she know? No one had seen a picture of her yet to that point, just a generic description that could have described any number of women at the bar.
- Maybe it’s the flu I’ve caught, but I could not make any sense of the plot this episode.
- What’s with the debate between Manning and Brady? We all know that Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the NFL! On a similar note, best rock band ever? Gotta be Heart. Yeah, that’s right.
- Someone was actually wearing a Tim Tebow jersey in the hotel lobby. The show’s wardrobe department must be on a really tight budget because I’d imagine that a NY Jets Tebow jersey must cost somewhere around $5.
- After weeks of hearing about Slick Vic’s appearance in this episode on the radio (98.5 morning show), I was a little disappointed to see just the back of his head.
- What, did Chin have the week off or something?
- Danno – 5 feet nothin’. A hundred and nothin’. Danno looked a lot like Rudy when running around in Aloha Stadium.
- Nonstop Movies: ‘Now You See Me’
- ‘Hawaii Five-O’ Recap: ‘Aloha. Malama Pono’
- Nonstop Movies: ‘Star Trek into Darkness’
- Consolidated Theatres introduces Dolby Atmos
- ‘Hawaii Five-O’ Recap: ‘He Welo `Oihana’