How does the saying go? “If you don’t have anything nice to say….” Well if I were to abide by that saying, this would be a very short blog.
I fully understand the need for filler episodes. It’s an extremely challenging task to write 20+ meaningful episodes in a TV season. There are times when characters need to just have fun with an episode, where there are no key plot developments, but just a simple case to help fill the gaps between the weeks. But with this week’s episode, “Na Ki`i,” the series has hit a new low.
All right, let’s just get this over with. Here’s this week’s look at The Good, The Bad and The Weird.
- Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
- Having Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew on the show represents scraping the bottom of the barrel of stunt casting.
- “We’re not exactly the Waltons.” – McGarrett to his mom on their unique family dynamic. How is this still a relevant reference? The only people who’d recognize this reference are those who actually watched the original “Hawaii Five-0″ during its run.
- Two roller derby teams, not a single tita sighted.
- “Dicey was the heart and soul of the team” – Roller derby coach. She meant so much to your team that the same day you found out she died, you simply brushed it off as an inconvenience comparable to a flat tire and resumed practice. Sure, that’s a natural reaction to a teammate’s horrific death.
- The show once again proves that the concept of time has no meaning when there’s a story to tell. In the span of a few hours, the 5-0 team investigates the crime scene; Max performs an autopsy; Fong analyzes a ticket found on the victim; the 5-0 team visits the Kapiolani Rec Center to ask questions and returns to 5-0 HQ to discuss their undercover strategy where McG tells Catherine he’s already received permission from her commanding officer for the farcical charade of going undercover as a roller derby racer. This is all before lunch. Then later the same day, the roller derby team holds a tryout to replace their teammate, who was just found dead that morning. I’d really like to know how the 5-0 team is able to slow the Earth’s rotation this way. That knowledge would sure come in handy when I have a bunch of deadlines to meet.
- Just when you thought there were no more ways the writers could awkwardly force Catherine into a storyline…
- The fact that I am still watching this show.