I’d been dying to go on another eating adventure with my friends who like to seek out off-menu items in restaurants. The secret menu, or “ura menu,” tends to be a selection of several items that are known only to insiders or employees. I don’t know if ura menu items really do taste better, or if relishing the fact that you ate something that no one else knew to order makes it seem that much more delicious — but they’re always fun to try. You may have already seen the ura menu at Kaiwa. This time, we went to Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin, which has been pumping in Waikiki for more than five years now, despite its $20-plus pork cutlets.
- Chad Owens’ Power-Up Menu
- Behind the scenes of the Today Show in Hawaii
- Women and wine: St. Francis winery
- Na Hoku Hanohano all stars
- Hawaii: In Real Life ~ Eisa Festival